friendship

So far my posts from Algiers have been about the places and the things, but this trip was really about the people.

On the day of Adam's funeral, his friends gathered at my house. There was a moment in which they looked at each other and said, 'We're so glad to be together again. We shouldn't have waited this long, and it shouldn't have taken a funeral to bring us together again.' In the aftermath of that day, I thought long and hard about the friendships I value enough to put energy into, and I have resolved not to let it be a funeral that brings me together with those people.

There are few people in the world whom I could contact and say, 'I would like to buy an expensive plane ticket and spend a week in your house,' and whom I could trust to say, 'Yes, we will do the complicated paperwork required for you to come. Can you really only stay a week?'

Taylor, Stuart, and I have known each other since college. Taylor and I got through stats together freshman year. The three of us were founding members of Fellowship of Sound, a student music group which continues to this day. Stuart played the organ at my wedding.


Maintaining a friendship over time despite great distances is hard work, and Taylor and I haven't been constantly close. Our mutual effort to make time for one another and to spend energy on our friendship has been fruitful, though. When we do have the opportunity to be together we have rambling conversations about hopes and dreams and disappointments and challenges. 


It's hard to believe that we met eighteen years ago.

Comments

  1. I've been giving a lot of thought to what friendship means and how I myself am working, or not working, to feed and maintain those friendships. In this day and age of social media it's easy to forget how important it is to see one another face to face, to hug each other, to really live in the moment with one another... Seeing someone's post on a social media website is just not the same as sharing a meal, an embrace, a genuine laugh in the company of those we hold dear.

    I too resolve to change the way I interact with my friends. Thanks for the reminder Kate. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts