mantras for the writing life

I have read a lot of composition theory. When I think intellectually and reflectively about how writing works and what my process is, I come to a pleasant melange of the ideas of Peter Elbow and Donald Murray. For the most part, I build my writing life carefully and try to encourage my students to learn good writing habits.

But that which I experience in the midst of a project and what I know in the abstract to be true often look very different. Thus it is that I find myself repeating like a breath prayer not the wisdom of composition theory, but the wisdom of popular literature through the ages.

Here are my mantras:

1. All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well. -The Shewings of Julian of Norwich

2. -It wil all work out in the end.
    -How will it?
    -I don't know. It's a mystery.
-Shakespeare in Love

3. Have you eaten your rice? Then wash your bowl. -Zen anecdote

4. Make. Great. Art. -Neil Gaiman

How do you get through a tough project?

Comments

Popular Posts