things fall together

This week, I had one of those moments where you seem to be getting the same message from very different messengers. Do you know what I mean? Some might say the universe is trying to tell me something. I think this is one of the ways the still small voice gets through to me.

After I wrote "caltrops," I happened upon a list of tips for being a more productive writer. Rarely do I meet a new idea when I encounter such lists, but I peruse them anyway because it's good to be reminded. This time, the idea that sparkled on the screen for me was "declutter your space."

"Hmmmmm," I thought, "it is easier to work in a clutter-free space."

Did I follow this advice? No, friends, I did not. I continued to add layers to the clutter on my desk, on my dresser, and on the shelves at home.

Then, Tsh Oxenrider's recent post about decluttering drawers and shelves popped into my reader. I could not ignore the advice any longer.

Still not ready to tackle my desk, I went for the low-hanging fruit in the bedroom. Here is my dresser before:

Woeful heap of clothes quickly approaching the slope of repose.
And here it is after:

I disappeared the clothes and found all these cool things!
My old stuffed animal friends are happy to not be smothered now, and they make me smile every time I walk by.

This transformation took maybe 40 minutes, but I'm so much happier in my room, and the momentum from this modest success propelled me through tidying the kitchen and living room before we threw an impromptu birthday party for Adam this weekend. I might actually make time for my desk this week just to regain the bliss of having created order from chaos.

My most pressing research project is also less like caltrops this week. There is still much to be done before the deadline, but the orderly structure has emerged, and I'm putting the details together apace.

The sock is also coming along quite well:

Comments

Popular Posts