unexpected

two thousand years ago,
they expected a royal messiah,
but he came as a carpenter

two thousand years ago,
they expected him to judge sinners,
but he washed their feet

in Jerusalem
they expected a coronation,
but they attended a crucifixion

in the garden
they expected a beloved corpse,
but they found an empty tomb

right now
they expect condemnation
let us show compassion

right now
they expect self-righteousness
let us be humble

right now
they expect judgement
let us love

let us be unexpected


Christianity and the lifelong project of learning to live Christ-like selflessness in this worldly world are part of who I am. When other more vocal, more powerful, more well-organized Christians raise the banner of hate, it hurts me. They have taught the world to expect hate and intolerance from everyone who bears the name Christian, and that image of Christianity is just as false as the image of Islam that says all Muslims are terrorists.

I know that I'm not alone, and I think it's time more of us spoke up. Jesus defied expectations, so why don't we?

I'll go first:

Hi, I'm a United Methodist, and I don't care who you marry. I don't care which god(s) you believe in or if you believe there are no gods at all. My door is always open, and you're welcome at my table.

Your turn.



This has also been published on Spectrum Magazine's website here.







Comments

  1. Hi, I'm an Episcopalian. You need to marry someone you love, and nobody's in any position to tell you who that can be. I think my own faith is the best way to form a relationship with the sacred, but I realize you feel the same about your faith, and to be honest, I have no compelling way to prove that I'm right and you're wrong, even to myself. So I won't try to make you like me. After all, I screw it up at least as often as I get it right.

    I value my relationship with you and your faith (or atheism), partly because you have taught me a lot about my own faith; as such, I owe a great debt of gratitude to you, your perspective, and your willingness to share with me in fellowship. My door, too, is always open, and you're welcome at my table. I'm not much of a cook, but the beer is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two. Now we just need many. :-)
      Thanks for having my back, Trey.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm Tracy and I'm a Christian. Whom you marry, how you live your life and what you believe spiritually is your business, not mine. When I venture forth on this Big Blue Planet® I do my best to spread love and tolerance. I study the Bible and try to live my life as I feel Jesus did. It hurts me when those who have a louder voice, whether via radio, television or print media, wave the Christian banner and loudly proclaim their thoughts and views are the way we all think and feel. Such is NOT the case and I'm sorry they feel that way.

    My home is always ready to receive guests, I can cook a pretty tasty meal and I welcome any who would enter my home with love and compassion in their hearts. Come in and sit down a spell, just leave your worries at the door with your coat and hat. This is a place to eat, drink and be merry.

    On a side note, I was getting a haircut Monday afternoon and telling the stylist about how I was doing. (she had cut the kids and my hair several times prior) A lady sitting in the next booth must have overheard and as she paid and left she also paid for my haircut. I never got her name and I don't think we ever even made eye contact but she showed me a kindness that I can only repay by paying it forward. THAT was "unexpected"...

    Thanks for posting this, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of anonymous kindness that prompts paying forward! Acts like that send ripples of inspiration out into the word, not only through you, the recipient, but also through the stylists (and a cashier, maybe) who were witnesses.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful invitation, begging an answer.... I'm Joelle, and I'm not sure what to call myself. And I don't particularly care what you call yourself. I am interested in your real name, your authentic and naked-soul self. And I hope that together we can learn to live truly, in harmony, welcoming and embracing our differences and allowing Life in all its abundant creativity to birth something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd call you amazing for starters. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hey, All,
    Check it out! There are some people speaking up, at least via Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/christiansmisrepresented

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts