love

It's been a rough week, friends. A disagreement with another person in the department has had me questioning how I fit in there. Disagreement isn't really the right word, but I can't find the one that is. I offered constructive criticism on a colleague's proposal for a group we are both part of, and she responded with a detailed catalog of all the reasons I was wrong. I can only guess that she perceived my suggestions as a challenge to her authority, because I feel like she pulled me down and stood on top of me to reassert herself.

By adding something to my colleague's proposal and furthering discussion that would benefit the group, I was participating in the kind of consensus building conversation we have operated with as long as I've been involved. My colleague, I now realize, just wanted us to accept or decline her proposal as is. While I didn't expect everyone to agree with me, I also didn't expect anyone to be offended by my having spoken.  It never occurred to me that my words would be perceived as aggression.

Aside from the bruises on my ego to be expected from having been dressed down publicly, this situation is eating at me because it has reminded me that too few people live the gospel of love. I'm feeling isolated in my desire to live in a world where we all treat each other with compassion and turn the other cheek. On top of that, I'm finding it difficult to feel compassion toward my colleague, and for that I feel petty.

The serendipity of the internet took me back to the Neighborhood this evening. God and Mr. Rogers love you just the way you are, God and Mr. Rogers love me just the way I am, God and Mr. Rogers love my colleague just the way she is. I can at least try.

Comments

Popular Posts