Making a Joyful Noise

I sang beautiful music today.
With wonderful people.
In a gorgeous church
that had amazing acoustics.

For the saddest of reasons.

An acquaintance of mine, whom I know through a local living history group, passed away unexpectedly Sunday evening. When our madrigal choir director asked who would be available to sing at the funeral midday today, I volunteered. I am so glad I did.

This is the third time I've sung with a choir at the funeral of someone whom I don't know well enough to cry. Each time I have been reminded that the funeral ceremony is not for the dead, but for the living.

Today, I saw the widow singing along with us with tears on her face, but with her head held high. I sang today for her. When she remembers the pain and the fear of this time, she will also remember that we madrigali were there. She will remember that we made a joyful noise. Just for her.

Comments

Popular Posts