Water, hot, lack thereof - see also #firstworldproblems

I sent the following e-mail to my landlords today:

Hi, Trustees,
We have no hot water at Lillies House today. The hot water heater is not leaking, and all wires and pipes seem to be appropriately attached. None of the breakers in the fuse box are flipped. Is there something else I should look for on my own?
We can live without hot water for a couple of days, so no rush.
~Kolokolchiki

One of them wrote back:
Hi Kolokolchiki,
Well your tougher than me, I am definitely getting too old for cold showers.  I called Super-Intendent Man and he is working at the Fire House Wednesday.  He has been using Local Plumbing Guy lately.  Please call them ASAP at XXX-XXXX and arrange for them to come and look at it TOMORROW.  I don't want you gals to have to take cold showers.
Thanks,
Trustee #1


This e-mail made me laugh. I had no intention of taking cold showers. Ugh! 
There's a pot of water on the stove waiting for me to turn it on to heat first thing when I wake up. Taking a bucket bath in my own tub will be way easier than bucket baths on the Trans Siberian Railway. To wit, the room will not be swaying back and forth, the surface on which I am standing will actually direct the water toward the drain, and there will be a clean, dry place for my clothes. It won't be as nice as a bucket bath in a steamy dacha, but it'll be way better than some of the spring fed creeks I've bathed in. 

Dear Life, 
Thanks for preparing me to do without and work around when modern conveniences fail.
Much love, 
~me 
Buckets for toting and heating (via electric immersion heater) water and pans for transferring to washbasins and the dry sink. Batama, Irkutsk Region, Siberia, 2007.

Comments

  1. I shocked the fire out of myself with one of those immersion heaters when I was in Armenia. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. There were Serious Rules about the use of the immersion heater.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts