On Being a Medievalist, sort of

As I wandered in to the graduate student lounge this afternoon to read between classes, I noticed that a bunch of the medievalist guys were in the conference room which opens from it. I thought, "Are they working on the transcription homework for Monday? Should I go in and join them?" I dithered. I hate being the new girl. Deciding that recon was the best course of action, I stood in front of the open conference room door while I carefully squeezed out and placed my tea bag in the trash, thinking that if they saw me they couldn't not ask me in to work on the transcription homework.When what to my wondering eyes should appear but a lumpy velvet drawstring bag and a stack of cards! I laughed at myself as the dice clattered out onto the table and I sat back down to read and drink tea."I slay you!" is not in the transcription homework.

Not long after a trio came in to talk about their rhet/comp project.
Green Sweater Girl: "What is that sound?"
Other Girl: "It sounds like dice. Who's using dice?"
Preppy Guy: "When it's dice, I always assume it's the medievalists."


If the other medievalists are infamous for their dice, I don't feel so bad about being a serious academic who is also a card carrying member of the SCA.

How can they possibly have time for gaming? We have transcription homework for Monday!

Comments

  1. You could have played with us if you'd asked. Also, the whole point of the Thursday game hour (which Case thought up) is to relieve stress from just the kind of work that History of the Book put us through.

    That said, you should just jump in. None of the medievalists are going to bite. I went through the same process when I first came to Purdue, and I face it all over again now as I move to OSU.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts