juxtapositions and hope

Happy Advent, Everyone!

I'm noticing the increasingly early darkness this year more than usual. I think I may have to start lighting candles in my apartment in the evenings so their warm glowiness can carve out a space for light.

Last night, I heard a great sermon in the Rethink series at Purdue's Wesley Foundation. The topic this week is Rethinking Family, and the speaker quoted the African proverb I am because we are; since we are, therefore I am.” 

Then, this morning I read the sermon from last night's American University United Methodist service, which centered on the text from Isaiah 2:4 "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

Wouldn't it be easier to beat our swords into plowshares and respond to the people around us with love rather than violence if we recognized the collective nature of our existence? A tall order indeed, but this is the week of hope.

Comments

Popular Posts