CSA box supper - week 2

We came home from Europe (I promise to blog about that later) to find the second weekly CSA box in the fridge (Thanks, Mom!). Since we'll pick up a new box tomorrow, we began the Tuesdays-in-summer tradition of making supper out of the bits of last week's box.

This time of year, the 1/2 bushel box is mostly salad greens and early roots like radishes, carrots, and an odd little turnip like a bleached radish. I really enjoy the greens. I missed piles of greens on my sandwiches in the winter, and nothing beats a giant bowl of mixed salad greens with oil and vinegar for lunch (crumbled bacon optional), but I never know what to do with the radishes and mini-turnips. Today, I had a stroke of brilliance:

Radish Turnip Slaw

3 radishes
3 mini-turnips
2 carrots
top of one green onion
salt
(rice wine) vinegar
(sesame) oil

Grate the radishes, turnips and carrots into a bowl. Mince and add the green onion. Add pinch of salt and splashes of oil and vinegar to taste. Toss to coat. Taste and adjust.

Delicious! The anti-radish faction even ate it without complaining.

Comments

  1. I slice radishes and add them to salads, but this sounds good too. In fact, I think I'll raid the fridge now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam and I like radishes like that, but the kids won't eat them that way. They are too unpredictable. Sometimes spicy, sometimes not. I was amazed that they ate the slaw. We will be making this again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts