A Boast of Me

Read Write Poem's NaPoWriMo #20 http://readwritepoem.org/blog/2010/04/20/napowrimo-prompt-20-the-hero-poem/


A Boast of Me

I, Kate, am the daughter descended of myriad marvelous mothers
of she whose picture-painting needle never pauses
of she whose fleet feet fly hither and yon
of she who brewed the dandelion wine.

The many of America mingle in my blood
Irish and Dutch, Mohawk and German.
I am a weaver of cultures, reaching across the chasm
and making of myself a bridge for my comrades to cross.


Notes: Because I need to believe in myself more and be my own hero, I chose to write an Anglo-Saxon style boast in response to this prompt. You should write one, too.

Comments

  1. Kate, nicely written. Plenty of image-words and image-inspiring phrases here to love. "she whose picture painting needle never pauses" is awesome in the true sense of that word. The clause "weaver of cultures" reminds of Athena, who was a weaver and wove peoples into linked groups. I didn't interpret this as a boast, more of an anthem of someone knowing who they are in a wonderful way. I see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, jdmackenzie. Anthem would be another good label. I chose boast because I borrowed the form and the alliteration as a tool for cohesion from the boasts in _Beowulf_.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mixed melange Boadicean boasts
    mean little
    You have a heart
    That means everything
    Thankyou for your lovely comment
    about my cat Dids

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you describe your heritage. The images in this poem are really gorgeous. Great poem!

    Also, thank you for suggesting boasts. I have never done one before, but it looks like fun. Perhaps I will try one this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you this information is very useful. It is really a great Post.

    If you are looking email hosting providers then you are at a right place Icloud24x7 is an industry leading Email Service Provider that delivers its service through its private cloud using the software as a service (SaaS) model. We are associated with more than 1000 corporate customers for Email Hosting Services.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts