_____ Ash Wednesday

What kind of Ash Wednesday ought we to have? I've been pondering this question since midmorning. As I was leaving the tea shop after elevenses, a woman responded to the smudgy cross on my forehead with, "Happy Ash Wednesday!" and a smile. I mumbled, "Thank you" and kept walking, but the moment has stuck with me all day. The image of that woman is as fresh in my mind as that of the monk who had imposed my ashes during Terce.

Ash Wednesday isn't meant to be a day of joyful celebration. Some celebrate mass, many impose ashes, a few observe a fast. So, what should we say to each other on this day that marks the beginning of Lent? What is it that we wish for one another on this holy day that mainstream America has forgotten?

I wish you a Meaningful Ash Wednesday and a Meditative Lent that leads you to a Fruitful Easter Season and a Transformative Pentecost.

Comments

Popular Posts