Flight

I've always wanted to see an owl, to look up in a tree and make eye contact with one of these centered beings who land and settle and are secure in their space. I got my wish this month, though not in the way I had envisioned. Here in Brazil they have burrowing owls who live like rabbits in the ground. (Apparently they also exist in the US in warm places like South Carolina, but I'd never heard of them. Yo, South Carolina, why didn't you tell me you had such a cool bird?)

Some of you will probably look at this picture and say, wow, her shutter speed was way off, why is she sharing this with me? So, let me tell you that I rather like the motion in this frame. I like the way the grass and the feathers slide in opposite directions. And, you know what, it captures what I saw. This owl was a blur to me. I got too close and – whoosh -- there he went.

Comments

Popular Posts