All Souls

November 1 is the day that Christians set aside to remember and honor the souls who have gone before us into the sleep of the just. We light candles whose flickering symbolizes our grandparents, aunts, uncles, beloved friends who are present in our lives because they are present in our thoughts. Their wisdom and humor live on through us. On All Souls Day, I always think of my grandparents, and I thank God that I was able to know them and that my children are able to know their grandparents.

This All Souls Day was different, though. As I sat in church conjuring up the faces of my dearly departed, I also thought of you, the living souls in my life. Today, I thank God that I share this world with each of you. The candles I light remember those who have gone before, honor those who are with me now, and make way for those who are yet to come. Hallowed be your names.

Comments

  1. Kate, you are such a bright shining light in this world. I am grateful that you are in my life too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts