coast

Erin says that I'm part selkie. And she's not wrong.

It took me aback at first because if asked I would have said that my superpower should be flight, not the ability to don a sealskin and live underwater. But she's totally right.



If there's water nearby, I need to get as close as possible. On the particular weekend pictured above, I had flown to Chicago and dragged her to a state park resort along Lake Michigan north of the city to celebrate her thirtieth birthday. And she let me.

At Rustic Lakehouse, I set up my bed and desk in the dining room because it had the best view of the lake with two entire walls of glass, and when I think of leaving Lovely Apartment in favor of a row hose with a back garden, I'm brought up short by the thought of losing my view of the tiny ribbon of the Potomac River that we can see from the balcony.

I recently traveled to Acadia National Park with friends, and as we were planning, I was mostly interested in hiking the woods and mountains. I knew, of course, that this is a coastal park, and my friends chose for us to stay in Bar Harbor, so I was certainly aware that some time with the sea would be part of the trip.

But I wasn't prepared for the way the salt air rushed through my lungs and into my soul.

Jim and I had been hiking through the woods for a bit and emerged unexpectedly onto this sand beach, and I was overwhelmed.


As I walked ahead of Jim, the landscape filled my awareness--the sound of gentle waves in a sheltered cove, the tang of salty air, the cold breeze off the water moderated by the bright sun.

I stood like this for a while, boots sinking into loose sand, palms and face raised to the sky.

Jim called it an act of praise, but to me it felt like coming home and greeting a beloved sister. Lake Michigan and the Potomac River are like distant cousins.

When we're done hiking, we're coming back here, I said. And I'm putting my feel in the water.

And we did.


The water was so very cold and so very important.

I need to learn to take my love of salty water into account when planning my life.


Comments

Popular Posts